#1 Shichi

Shichi

PB Crew

• Perthbands Reviewer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationOmnipresent. Seriously.

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:33 AM

Who went this year? What did you think of the new venue and the lineup?

I really disliked Fremantle Park as the venue this year. Firstly, it was a bitch to find...and then the layout was like a maze and caused bottlenecks everywhere. Being at this year's B&R was like being in a sardine can, it was a pain to move around from stage to stage. I hope they move it back to the Esplanade next year because that was nicer.

Crowded House were fantastic despite not really being a blues or roots band. They played a great version of Private Universe and it was funny to see people throwing paper airplanes onto the stage around the middle of the show. I really dug John Mayall, Matisyahu (his crowd-surfing at the end was awesome) and Newton Faulkner. Jeff Beck was good as well and he has an awesome bassist playing with him.

What was up with Angus and Julia Stone? They were about 20mins late, which was a bit of a shame.

"A poet is not an apostle; he drives out devils only by the power of the devil."

In Orbit
https://www.facebook.com/inorbitmusic
https://inorbitmusic.bandcamp.com

#2 basstapex

basstapex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:43 AM

how were Gogol Bordello???

#3 Mrb

Mrb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,035 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:54 AM

Whatís that look you see in movies where people are going really fast and their face and hair gets all pulled back?  Iím still like that after Gogol Bordello. I canít actually articulate how fantastic they were. They, and Old Crow Medicine Show we both amazing and awesome fun.
Brian,Brian. The babe they called 'Brian', He grew,...grew, grew, and grew--,Grew up to be-- grew up to be A boy called 'Brian'-- A boy called 'Brian'. He had arms... and legs... and hands... and feet, This boy... whose name was 'Brian', And he grew,... grew, grew, and grew-- Grew up to be-- Yes, he

#4 basstapex

basstapex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:58 AM

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! I wish GB played solo show as well...

#5 sockus

sockus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:26 AM

Honestly if people don't rush to see Old Crow Medicine Show at Mojo's tonight there is something wrong with the world.

#6 Paperflyband

Paperflyband

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationPerth.

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:53 AM

how were Gogol Bordello???

I believe they were on same time as Crowdies? That American Wedding song is hilarious.

I would have loved to go to this, but personal funds are all going towards house deposit atm (if you're wondering how this relates to my thread in the ask PB forums right now, I doubt I will be fronting much of that).

Saw Crowded house back in '07, they were brilliant.

Anyone get there in time for Dan Sultan? That would've been a treat.
flyingblindendeavours@gmail.com

#7 Shichi

Shichi

PB Crew

• Perthbands Reviewer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:05 PM

I wish Gogol Bordello didn't clash with Crowded House, I would've liked to have seen them. I caught a bit of Gogol Bordello at the of the night when I was getting some food (Hare Krishna curry FTW) and they sounded really interesting. Sounded like gypsy-punk-electronica, nice mix.

"A poet is not an apostle; he drives out devils only by the power of the devil."

In Orbit

#8 Russ

Russ

Drumfiend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts
  • LocationHighgate

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:58 PM

Esplanade was a clearly better layout, so many god damn bottle necks.  And what was with everyone bringing picnic rugs and low chairs and sitting infront of the main stage at the entrace???????  Made it so god damn impossible to get around, it's a music festival, not a god damn "day on the green"...

God damn!

Crowded House were great.  Jeff Beck was awesome but only had time to catch 4 songs since I had to try and squeeze into the crowd for Crowded House.  Matisyahu was ok... mainly cause of the band he had with him, what a drummer!  Caught a bit of Gogol Bordello, I remember seeing them on Letterman a couple years ago, pretty entertaining.  That's about all I saw.

Saw a bogan fight break out during Crowded House too, idiots.

They better move it back to the Esplanade next year.
I currently hit drums for...

The Autumn Isles | Sea Of Tunes | Some Like It Yacht | The Reductors | The Beat Surrenders

#9 Shichi

Shichi

PB Crew

• Perthbands Reviewer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:17 PM

While I was stuck at one of the bottlenecks while trying to get from Angus and Julia Stone to John Mayall (crowd standstills FTL), I had to laugh about the whole "Fremantle Park is an improved venue" shebang from the promoters :P

I also don't know why there were so many people picnicking in the standing area, when there was a clearly-designated PICNIC zone on the hill.

In Orbit

#10 bird_of_paradox

bird_of_paradox

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,074 posts
  • Locationon the wing

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:14 PM

Did they move it there this year to avoid blocking off Little Creatures / fishing boat harbour from the rest of Freo? That was probably the main downside of Esplanade Park.
Sometimes it's not a lack of technical knowledge, and it's not laziness. It's just a lack of anything resembling what we call motivation. Like Ron Livingston said in Office Space, "It's not that I'm lazy... I just don't care!"

#11 MuffinMan

MuffinMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:19 PM

Jeff Beck played.  End of story.
' ... music is the best'.

#12 Shichi

Shichi

PB Crew

• Perthbands Reviewer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:46 PM

The official spiel for why Fremantle Park was chosen was:

The festival moves to a spectacular new site at Fremantle Park, which is significantly more spacious to accommodate the broad demographic that attends the West Coast Blues íní Roots
Festival.

It certainly didn't feel more "spacious" on the day! Partly due to layout and partly from the numbers. I read in the paper that there was more than double the attendance from last year and I think it was too many people.

In Orbit

#13 crover

crover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:59 PM

There were far too many people. I was being poked in the leg as I was trying to walk closer to the stage....can't see for 1 minute, well fuck you, you can't see shit from your little camping set-up anywho, wait your fucking patience, have another ham-sandwich.

#14 trentster

trentster

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:21 PM

jeff beck was my highlight...

the joe kings totally kicked ass aswell!
and buddy guy..john mayall...taj mahal..

#15 Jon Bonhams Biggest Fan

Jon Bonhams Biggest Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:37 PM

A couple of things I saw at this years gig:

-One lady reading a novel during Buddy Guy

-Several groups having a picnic in the middle of the STANDING section

-Numerous idiots having an in-depth conversation (re: shout match) during a set and to top it off

-Some dude (obviously pissed) urinating into cans in the middle of the 'mosh'.

IF YOUR NOT THERE TO SEE THE MUSIC, THEN FUCK OFF!!!

Apart from that, Buddy Guy was great, as was JBT and Crowded House - didn't manage to get around to some others I wanted to see due to the exodus attending the festival.

Fuck Festivals, If only they weren't such big drawcard for popular bands.

#16 ourspace

ourspace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:58 PM

I went and so did too many people...

God - too many drunk dickheads!

Apart from that, i thought Crowded House were finntastic  B)

I should add that people often say we sound like a young Crowded House :blink:

#17 Paperflyband

Paperflyband

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationPerth.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:27 AM

I should add that people often say we sound like a young Crowded House :blink:

What's your band called? Melikes the Crowdies very much.

And just because I like to make lists, what's your top 3 C.H songs? Just throwin' it out there for anyone.

Mine:
1. World Where You Live
2. Don't Dream It's Over
3. Nails in My Feet

Blah, that was harder than I thought.

Honourable mentions: Sistery Madly, Fingers of Love, When You Come

flyingblindendeavours@gmail.com

#18 kiwirob

kiwirob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:44 AM

yep I agree with general consensus way too many people, I brought tickets to see Jeff Beck and Buddy Guy, others were a bonus.
First i checked out John Mayall while my wife quede an hour for food (within earshot luckily) he was cool then we went over to Buddy Guy witch was awesome except for people who just forced their way in front of us half way through the show.

Then Jeff Beck this was AWESOME i was blown away. His control over his guitar is unbelievable.
I had all intentions of watching Crowded House after this But after Jeff Beck my boat was as floated as it was gonna get (plus I was OVER the crowds) nuthin personal to all the other punters promoter should have limited it to 15000.

#19 Shichi

Shichi

PB Crew

• Perthbands Reviewer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:57 PM

I had a think about what my top Crowdies songs would be...

1. PRIVATE UNIVERSE - I absolutely love this song and their version at the B&R made me love it even more.

I'll have to think about the other two :P

In Orbit

#20 Mrb

Mrb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,035 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:14 PM

They've never been even near to average. I think Don't Stop Now is one of their best - also a few songs off Woodface are up there. Weather With You is my English summer song
Brian,Brian. The babe they called 'Brian', He grew,...grew, grew, and grew--,Grew up to be-- grew up to be A boy called 'Brian'-- A boy called 'Brian'. He had arms... and legs... and hands... and feet, This boy... whose name was 'Brian', And he grew,... grew, grew, and grew-- Grew up to be-- Yes, he

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users