25 replies to this topic

#1 Tash92

Tash92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:28 AM

Hey guys,

What is you view on the services available for performers at Perth pubs? Do you feel your equipment is safe during your gig? Do you wish you had your own private toilet? What are your views on the backstage areas?

I'm looking into designing a pub and want to know what musicians would like improved =)

#2 basstapex

basstapex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:57 PM

*Drug taking room - we musicians are in love with all sorts of drugs. It sucks that we have to go out, and then hide in the car park to smoke a spliff. Design a room with no fucken smoke alarm, so we can do what we love most.
*A room for a quickie - subtle and private - you know, we have to relieve the tension before/after the gig without being watched by other people.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

I don't think I've ever played at a venue that has a proper 'backstage area'. It's usually more a case of dumping your equipment to the side of stage somewhere. Ya Ya's has a little hovel that used to be a kitchen, I guess. Even Amplifier (which I haven't played at) is more of a 'off the stage, through the crowd, then under the floor area'.

So, I guess the point is - anything would be an improvement on most venues.
Cape Town Lullaby:
"Pay what you want" download of our debut EP at our Bandcamp page.
Also at Fan Shan (Perth) and Mills Records (Fremantle). Want us for a gig? Email capetownlullaby(at)gmail.com

A Hole in the Head: A weekly blog about music, movies and miscellaneous junk.

#4 Silas

Silas

Silas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:24 PM

View Postbasstapex, on 18 August 2011 - 12:57 PM, said:

*Drug taking room - we musicians are in love with all sorts of drugs. It sucks that we have to go out, and then hide in the car park to smoke a spliff. Design a room with no fucken smoke alarm, so we can do what we love most.
*A room for a quickie - subtle and private - you know, we have to relieve the tension before/after the gig without being watched by other people.

Also,

Room for pies where you can eat pies.

Bookshelf to put bags on.

Rug on floor to sit on. I HATE SITTING ON THE BARE FLOOR! DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS BAKERY! I SIT DOWN ON THE FLOOR AND PRETEND I NEVER READ FRANKIE MAGAZINE WITH MY GIRLS!

Biggie, Tupac and... Silas

Bucka! Bucka! Bucka!

#5 Chaircat Meow

Chaircat Meow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationBumstead flats

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:35 PM

Lots of mirrors like the Bakery room.

I like to look at myself, mouth the words to my songs and experiment with facial expressions before I play.

When I turn around and smile at the drummer half way through a song, that's been rehearsed. Usually at home without the drummer even!

When I look forlornly to some unimaginably captivating event just out of your sight to the side of stage- I rehearsed that in a mirror 200 times!
Sanssangria are happy to play your show, hit us up!

http://listn.to/Sanssangria

https://www.facebook...34765529870619/  

RIP Sid

I found the keys to cornerstone in my coffee,
I am generic brand for product of environment,
I get these dreams that roll and shake into pieces,
I pick them up to find that I am wide awake again

#6 Dave L

Dave L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:51 PM

The backstage area at The Castle - big as you like, smoke what you like, take what you like...

Seriously, the really cool thing about this was how you could park your car right at the backstage door to bump in/out. A rare commodity indeed!

Edited by Dave L, 18 August 2011 - 09:04 PM.

"Men, you are about to embark on a great crusade to stamp out runaway decency in the west." HEDLEY LAMARR

#7 Gav

Gav

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationOh, I'm uh.. on a road, uh.. looks to be asphalt. Um, ah geez, trees, shrubs um.... I'm directly under the earths sun... nnnow!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:48 PM

Does the Castle really count?
This is a thousand monkeys working at a thousand typewriters. Soon, they'll have finished the greatest novel known to man...

#8 KennyLoS

KennyLoS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:59 PM

The charles has an EPIC backstage area! something like that would rock. Mainly a way for the band to get in and out without having to go through the crowd. Especially for multi band events, nobody likes to see people loading in through the crowd while your in the middle of a set. Oh and a sound guy that doesnt stare at you like an idiot when you try to explain that your amp is stereo and full range and that the single mic he wants to point at it aint gonna be useful at all.

#9 Damo

Damo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

Oh and a sound guy that doesnt stare at you like an idiot when you try to explain that your amp is stereo and full range and that the single mic he wants to point at it aint gonna be useful at all.
If youre a guitarist I could understand his look - There's not much point to using stereo full-range amps unless you're a keyboardist or messing with panning effects - and if youre a keyboardist you're probably DI'ing anyway

#10 Shichi

Shichi

PB Crew

• Perthbands Reviewer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationOmnipresent. Seriously.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:14 PM

View Postbasstapex, on 18 August 2011 - 12:57 PM, said:

I second these suggestions, I think they would be fantastic.
"A poet is not an apostle; he drives out devils only by the power of the devil."

In Orbit
https://www.facebook.com/inorbitmusic
https://inorbitmusic.bandcamp.com

#11 MD.

MD.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts
  • LocationBeckenham, Perth

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:33 PM

View PostDave L, on 18 August 2011 - 08:51 PM, said:

The backstage area at The Castle - big as you like, smoke what you like, take what you like...

Seriously, the really cool thing about this was how you could park your car right at the backstage door to bump in/out. A rare commodity indeed!

totally. set up behind a curtain, rock out on betamax film..... it would be a win if it wasnt for the shit bar.
so you liek mudkips?

#12 KennyLoS

KennyLoS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:10 PM

View PostDamo, on 19 August 2011 - 02:30 PM, said:

If youre a guitarist I could understand his look - There's not much point to using stereo full-range amps unless you're a keyboardist or messing with panning effects - and if youre a keyboardist you're probably DI'ing anyway
Or unless you use a rockman. (like I do) They are designed as a full range guitar amp. And yeah your right the best approach for full range would be a DI

#13 Gav

Gav

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationOh, I'm uh.. on a road, uh.. looks to be asphalt. Um, ah geez, trees, shrubs um.... I'm directly under the earths sun... nnnow!

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:55 PM

View PostFiendMD, on 19 August 2011 - 04:33 PM, said:

rock out on betamax film.....

those dvds were the best thing about the castle. ah the memories! if only I'd hung on to a few and not used them as coffee coasters and frisbees
This is a thousand monkeys working at a thousand typewriters. Soon, they'll have finished the greatest novel known to man...

#14 Chaircat Meow

Chaircat Meow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationBumstead flats

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:55 PM

I've kept one. An artifact from a simpler time, a time when family bistros were converted into punk venues, as opposed to punk venues being turned into family bistros dammit!
Sanssangria are happy to play your show, hit us up!

http://listn.to/Sanssangria

https://www.facebook...34765529870619/  

RIP Sid

I found the keys to cornerstone in my coffee,
I am generic brand for product of environment,
I get these dreams that roll and shake into pieces,
I pick them up to find that I am wide awake again

#15 Cadbury

Cadbury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:23 PM

A lockable room to store musical gear. Hated leaving my gear (even if it was cheap/free) by the side of a stage somewhere for everyone to steal/abuse/trip over.

#16 postman1138

postman1138

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:50 AM

With The Castle you had to forfeit a decent toilet for those dvds. In some cases it was worth it. I've had many a boozey night there. Miss the place I do :(

A decent sized room for storing gear and drinking in would be good. Maybe even our own bathroom? to shit in? and preferably without a smoke alarm so we can smoke too? The Hydey had a decent backroom with an unfortunate side door location. They had to start putting a bouncer on the door but he didn't actually stop anyone from taking anything. He'd just watch. Atleast he can provide a description of the thieves.

Edited by postman1138, 06 January 2012 - 10:53 AM.

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness"

#17 2112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

Skimpies
Leon Todd
0402 539 907

Guitarist for Ragdoll www.ragdollrock.com

Music Tuition - Guitar, Bass and Music Theory

#18 John Bafile

John Bafile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:02 AM

Sick of having to deal with lazy sound technicians ruining gigs!,,  Saturday night four local bands gave it all on stage, well done to all muso's from Bad Shannon, Copious , Foul Play & Born on the Bayou.
As for the muppet on the mixing desk which managed to clear the room makes you wonder why we have poor attendances at local gigs?..

I won't mention the Venue as it is irrelevant, it has one of the best stages for bands in Perth.

No sound check
Backing vocal mikes not turned on
No sound definition between instruments

" I let him know from half way through first band " to no avail !!  & yes I created a scene at the end of the night ! What crowd is going to turn up to a gig that sounds like shit??

Regards,
Management Banned from the ...... Hotel.

#19 visionnewsun

visionnewsun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

- Decently sized backstage to store gear and have a drink.
- A way to access this backstage without having to go through the crowd, preferably from the carpark.
- Decent sound technicians with experience, not some 19 year old chump.

#20 marrogg

marrogg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationMt Lawley

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

the best thing for musicians really is a pub full of people!

Backstage at Manhattans was pretty cool... i liked that couch..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users