#1 Chad Burger

Chad Burger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Locationum...Perth

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:38 PM

I, like I would guess many children who grew up in the 80's, have fond memories of going to the drive ins to see double features with my parents.

Just tonight we went and it was just as cool as ever. Buy yr crappy food cheap at a supermarket, get a kebab before you go in and dont forget some booze (cheap scotch, shoved under my seat- just in case they were checking for booze, which they werent). Best fun ever.

We went because its a good way to get out and see a film without too much risk of our 2 month old baby getting us chucked out of the cinema for carrying on. Will be going again as soon as they change the film on offer.
Mighty Warrior Of Metal

www.burgersofbeef.com
www.myspace.com/burgersofbeef

#2 Bangers

Bangers

Large Member

• Moderators
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:45 PM

I would love to see The Room at the drive-in. Double feature with Troll 2.
And that is all I have to say about that.

#3 Chad Burger

Chad Burger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Locationum...Perth

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:07 PM

Dude, that would be a double worth going to.

Galaxy has Rise of the Apes and X-Men First Class as their double at the moment, but since we just saw Apes tonight I guess I'll have to miss it.
Mighty Warrior Of Metal

www.burgersofbeef.com

#4 Bangers

Bangers

Large Member

• Moderators
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:21 PM

Apes was great. X-men was... ok.

#5 Chad Burger

Chad Burger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Locationum...Perth

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:31 PM

I was totally going for the apes and had a great time.

I got to see an ape on horseback and a gorilla jump into a helicopter so I was thrilled. I even clapped my hands with glee when the gorilla and the orangutan took out the police cars.

I'm a massive Apes fanboy. I thought this was a great return to form after Burtons shitty effort. The original films still rule though, although I like this take on the smart apes origin better then the original idea (Cornilius and Zera bringing a virus back in time on the human space ship that kills all the cats and dogs forcing humans to adopt apes as household pets) even though the original idea is pretty far out man.
Mighty Warrior Of Metal

www.burgersofbeef.com

#6 Bangers

Bangers

Large Member

• Moderators
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:45 PM

Ha, as soon as I saw the police on the horses I was thinking 'OMG an ape is gonna steal the horse' and then it happened. I liked all the nods to the original that were in there.

I only saw the original a few weeks ago but I really enjoyed it. Nowhere near as cheesy as I was expecting, although my only prior experience was the Simpsons musical. I read up about the other movies, it all sounds a bit crazy. I do like the idea of the looping paradox origins though, I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.

I wonder what will happen with the inevitable sequel. This one was close to a remake of The fourth film yeah?

#7 rap panther

rap panther

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:37 AM

View PostBangers, on 23 August 2011 - 09:45 PM, said:

I would love to see The Room at the drive-in. Double feature with Troll 2.

Why don't they do that double after the joes that came to see the Harry Potters and the Xmans double leave? Seems like money in the bank to me. A midnight 'double' after the regular 'double'.

Or they can come for Big Momma's House, stay for Gore Gore Girls.

#8 Chad Burger

Chad Burger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Locationum...Perth

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:35 AM

Yeah this current film takes us up to about halfway through the events of the 4th original film (Conquest of the Planet of the Apes) where the apes rebel against the humans and then overthrow them (with guns!)

If you havnt seen the original films then you should really try to sit through them. None of them really measure up to the first one but it is a great story full of cool ideas. Now though, they are also amusing for their b grady cheapness.

ahhhh its been too long. Im going to burn through the originals again. Then Im going to attempt to grind through the tv series and then the animated series... which I own but sadly have never really got through due to being pretty aped-out after 5 films worth of apes

We own this Ceasar head which looks down on us from our dvd shelf.... it scares little kids who come round!

http://www.ezydvd.co...item.zml/785586
Mighty Warrior Of Metal

www.burgersofbeef.com

#9 sir riff a lot

sir riff a lot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

+1 for Galaxy Drive-in
great fun , especially if uv got kids
they have a cheapo day(tuesday or thursday ? I think) where you only pay per car instead of per person.....cheap as bro
all their cool uni mates and regular x-press reading/subi $6.50 coffee drinking fags have gone so why would they be interested in moderating the site?

#10 MD.

MD.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts
  • LocationBeckenham, Perth

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:37 PM

duuuuuude, the missus and I go there all the time. DOUBLE FEATURE FTW. Apart from the time I had to sit through Sex and the City 2, its been rad. Eat some crapy food and chillax in ya car. laugh at the people with flat battery at the end of the night.

View PostChad Burger, on 24 August 2011 - 07:35 AM, said:

Yeah this current film takes us up to about halfway through the events of the 4th original film (Conquest of the Planet of the Apes) where the apes rebel against the humans and then overthrow them (with guns!)

If you havnt seen the original films then you should really try to sit through them.

awww shiit. I watched all these when I was like, 10... on GALAXY (became foxtel). Escape, beneath....conquest?... bah ANYHOW they freaked me out...until I re-watched them.

SIR RIFF ALOT, unless im too out of it, Im pretty sure saturdays are per car...

Edited by FiendMD, 24 August 2011 - 05:43 PM.

so you liek mudkips?

#11 Chaircat Meow

Chaircat Meow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationBumstead flats

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:48 PM

Holy guacamole yep me and mrs cat were at Galaxy watching 'Rise of the planet of the Apes' on Saturday!! Thought it was pretty good. Whatisface is the most unconvincing scientist ever, but of course we went expecting that. Didn't stay for X-men, seen it already but that was a great idea for a double.

I love that place. Every time we go there we wonder if the kids are gonna do the inevitable and sell the place for the massive real estate scrilla.... as soon as mum'n'pop croak. Probably, hey.

There is nothing quite like the drive in experience. The family vibe is awesome. I'm sure their grandkids make the choc bombs and pop the corn etc. That place is almost like a trip back in time.

It would be great to hook up with them on a night they don't run (if there are any) and put on a cult film festival there. Midnight movies etc.
Sanssangria are happy to play your show, hit us up!

http://listn.to/Sanssangria

https://www.facebook...34765529870619/  

RIP Sid

I found the keys to cornerstone in my coffee,
I am generic brand for product of environment,
I get these dreams that roll and shake into pieces,
I pick them up to find that I am wide awake again

#12 Chad Burger

Chad Burger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Locationum...Perth

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:59 AM

Sort that out Chaircat, Me and The Lady will be there.

oh and Tuesday is the pay by the car day (the day I went).
Mighty Warrior Of Metal

www.burgersofbeef.com

#13 aron2holloway

aron2holloway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:54 PM

I think must go for Final destination 5. If you are going with children then I must suggest you to go Rise of the Apes. wonderful movie.
DONE

#14 Chaircat Meow

Chaircat Meow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationBumstead flats

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

I just found out someone else owns the land not mum'n'pop.. so it could well be the humble drive in cinema has a benefactor here, beyond the lifespan of current managers.
Sanssangria are happy to play your show, hit us up!

http://listn.to/Sanssangria

https://www.facebook...34765529870619/  

RIP Sid

I found the keys to cornerstone in my coffee,
I am generic brand for product of environment,
I get these dreams that roll and shake into pieces,
I pick them up to find that I am wide awake again

#15 Chad Burger

Chad Burger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Locationum...Perth

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

as far as I'm aware this is the last one in Perth. It would be a terrible shame if it were to disappear.
Mighty Warrior Of Metal

www.burgersofbeef.com

#16 HULKSMASH

HULKSMASH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:41 PM

First drive in film I saw was The Terminator in Beechboro Drive In.
Sweet drive in it was.
Crappy speaker mounted on the car window.
Fun times.

Edited by HULKSMASH, 07 September 2011 - 06:42 PM.

BAYOU - www.facebook.com/bayoumusicoz

#17 MD.

MD.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts
  • LocationBeckenham, Perth

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:58 PM

aaaahhh sounds better than mine.... first drive in move I seen - Stakeout 1+2 when I was like 8 or so...
so you liek mudkips?

#18 Chad Burger

Chad Burger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Locationum...Perth

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:50 PM

The first drive in movies I went to was a double with my mum and dad and we saw World Safari 2 and 3. Alby Mangles will always be a hero to me. I loved the speaker in the window. So much fun. Im totally going to do this with my little one as well.
Mighty Warrior Of Metal

www.burgersofbeef.com

#19 Bangers

Bangers

Large Member

• Moderators
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:09 PM

I think the first one I saw at the drive in was Jurassic Park. We didn't get the speaker, we tuned in the car radio.

#20 rap panther

rap panther

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:05 AM

View PostFiendMD, on 08 September 2011 - 03:58 PM, said:

aaaahhh sounds better than mine.... first drive in move I seen - Stakeout 1+2 when I was like 8 or so...

Stakeout deserves more play, I think. Maybe not number two.. Rosie O'Donnell and all that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users