#1 Chaircat Meow

Chaircat Meow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationBumstead flats

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:58 PM

I have no idea what happened to the 'seen any good movies lately' thread... but i've just harvested a bumper crop of quality popcorn people and found some darty-awes movies to match!

'Autoilluminescence' (SIC):
A new doco all about Rowland S Howard RIP. The guy must have been so annoying to the early aus (decent) music scene. Why? Because he dressed and carried himself like an over stylised, histrionic, snarky and incredibly snobbly little turd... like a million other annoying wankers in any given day in the life of rock'n'roll..... but unlike the others.. he was actually (musically speaking) a devastating force of shocking sounds and new ideas. he could walk the walk. He could back up the insults and naziesque musical  views by actually being better than most people.
How annoying. As most rockers do, he mellowed into a lovely older bloke and to the day of his death seemed to pull the honeys.
Really great story. Sad end. 8/10

Superhero: Doco on all of the real life super-heroes out there in the US. meaning, people that dress up in costumes, leave their house, go down the street and just start looking for actual crime to fight. Fascinating, funny, and awesome. Maybe a little bit inspiring. 7/10

Red State: Finally got to see it. It's not reaaally scary I don't reckon, but it is brutal. It really shits me to learn that films like this can still somehow cause an uproar of media controversy about being politically incorrect. So it's politically incorrect to call out racism, domestic extremism masquerading as religion, and institutional corruption that goes all the way to the top (plus piss off the entire film industry)  .
I love it that Kev Smith went crazy and did this, and i'm 100% behind it. This is an important film and everyone should watch it because it's relevant as fuck.
Acting's great. Humour's great and there's a lot of it. And Kevin Smith is a legend and this is his best film.
10/10

Johnny English: Kind of 'had' to see this one. Thought I was gonna hate it. I liked it. It's funny and you don't have to think for a couple hours so all good.
So here's the plot: Rowan Atkinson is very entertaining in the lead role, and everyone else is collecting a paycheck. Great plot huh? Although the clear highlight of this film for me was getting to see the 'Puss in Boots' trailer. Man that is going to rule.
6/10.

So there's my eleventy cence, how about YOU? Share your recent film experiences... if you think they're worth sharing!
Sanssangria are happy to play your show, hit us up!

http://listn.to/Sanssangria

https://www.facebook...34765529870619/  

RIP Sid

I found the keys to cornerstone in my coffee,
I am generic brand for product of environment,
I get these dreams that roll and shake into pieces,
I pick them up to find that I am wide awake again

#2 Mrb

Mrb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,035 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:23 AM

Senna

Not much of a F1 follower at all but this was fucking incredible. Cant believe the footage they got of him and how the whole film was just pre-existed footage. Considering how tight F1 are with any filming of anything related to it, its weird how there was so much and how personal it was. He was a determined bastard, thats for sure.
If you want to download it, get the 'smokey' version and follow the comments below so you also get the subtitles.

SPOILER ALERT!! He dies in the end but you do get to see it happening from his angle
Brian,Brian. The babe they called 'Brian', He grew,...grew, grew, and grew--,Grew up to be-- grew up to be A boy called 'Brian'-- A boy called 'Brian'. He had arms... and legs... and hands... and feet, This boy... whose name was 'Brian', And he grew,... grew, grew, and grew-- Grew up to be-- Yes, he

#3 Lickerr

Lickerr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts
  • LocationOuter Space

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:11 PM

Cool, I didn't know they finished Autoluminescent already. Rowland was a true original indeed, must check that. Got that Superheroes too, but still haven't got around to watching it.  

Some docs I've watched lately:

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soapbox

Derailroded

Don't fuck with the Lewises

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia

The Secret Life of Chaos

next up: Marwencol

#4 postman1138

postman1138

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

I saw Tree of Life a little while ago. Loved it.
Also saw Crazy, Stupid, Love at Piccadilly for cheap tuesday. I was bored, it was cheap and I like Ryan Gosling as an actor. The first hour is great but it falls into the same old cliches we've all come anticipate in romcoms. Someone makes a big speech, a kid does something cute. Nothing's actually resolved though.
Waiting to see Drive in the next few weeks and Melancholia.
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness"

#5 astralwerkor

astralwerkor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts
  • Locationperf

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:00 AM

pysched for drive

#6 Chaircat Meow

Chaircat Meow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationBumstead flats

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:12 AM

psyched for puss in boots!!

RIP Sid

#7 rap panther

rap panther

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:49 AM

Drive is well worth it.

#8 postman1138

postman1138

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:59 PM

Just watched the doco "WACO: Rules of Engagement". Intense and worth it. You can see how the ATP and similar government agencies made a huge balls up of the operation from the start. Then continued to lie, alter and manipulate the events to serve their own needs. Vital evidence being removed, complete denial of some acts despite being captured on film. It's interesting to watch now considering the recent Occupy Wall Street movement and the Police's actions towards protestors.

Also watched Pearl Jam 20. Loved it. I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan and as such am likely over stating it's appeal. But it's a good insight into the band over the years. Even if just to see Kurt Cobain and Eddie Vedder slow dancing with each other. Or a photo of Eddie's real Dad. Too bad they glossed over the constant rotation of drummers.

Just about to sit down and watch Liam Neeson kick total ass in "Unknown"...

#9 Chaircat Meow

Chaircat Meow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationBumstead flats

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:01 PM

View Postpostman1138, on 26 October 2011 - 11:59 PM, said:

Just watched the doco "WACO: Rules of Engagement". Intense and worth it. You can see how the ATP and similar government agencies made a huge balls up of the operation from the start. Then continued to lie, alter and manipulate the events to serve their own needs. Vital evidence being removed, complete denial of some acts despite being captured on film. It's interesting to watch now considering the recent Occupy Wall Street movement and the Police's actions towards protestors.

Mate, go and watch Kevin Smith's 'Red State'. You'll love it!

Fuck yeah, Karl O'callagan issued a veilled PC warning that the police won't be tolerating illegal camping on Friday, and mentioned that he'd regret having to commit the kind of violence the cops did over east. I'm going down to take pictures of them.

What I really don't understand is how perhaps the greatest capitalist city in the world, New York, can allow for such protest.. and on Wall street no less... dealing with protestors respectfully, but here in shithole Perth it's ok to just smash anyone anytime, with a great proportion of the general public cheering them on behind their flat screens and computers.

Americans, for all of their crazyness, put us Australians to shame.

They don't tolerate their own police beating them down as much, in large scale matters. I'm not talking about the US government or the FBI, but the people. Their public seem to have learnt from WACO and consolidated a community-led view, while people in WA regress into animals that hide in front of flat screens.

RIP Sid

#10 Chaircat Meow

Chaircat Meow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationBumstead flats

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:01 PM

View Postpostman1138, on 26 October 2011 - 11:59 PM, said:

Mate, go and watch Kevin Smith's 'Red State'. You'll love it!

Fuck yeah, Karl O'callagan issued a veilled PC warning that the police won't be tolerating illegal camping on Friday, and mentioned that he'd regret having to commit the kind of violence the cops did over east. I'm going down to take pictures of them.

What I really don't understand is how perhaps the greatest capitalist city in the world, New York, can allow for such protest.. and on Wall street no less... dealing with protestors respectfully, but here in shithole Perth it's ok to just smash anyone anytime, with a great proportion of the general public cheering them on behind their flat screens and computers.

Americans, for all of their crazyness, put us Australians to shame.

They don't tolerate their own police beating them down as much, in large scale matters. I'm not talking about the US government or the FBI, but the people. Their public seem to have learnt from WACO and consolidated a community-led view, while people in WA regress into animals that hide in front of flat screens.

RIP Sid

#11 rap panther

rap panther

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:45 AM

I watched The Keep on my laptop while I was waiting for a plane yesterday. It's all smoke and evil and laser pointers, but a cool forgotten film from the 80's about nazis fighting a demon.

#12 Chad Burger

Chad Burger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Locationum...Perth

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:53 PM

I watched Fido the other day and loved it. Its a zombie film set in some weirdo 50s where people keep zombies as house servants. Its pretty fluffy but I did enjoy it.
Mighty Warrior Of Metal

www.burgersofbeef.com
www.myspace.com/burgersofbeef

#13 postman1138

postman1138

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:27 AM

This week:

FILMS
Midnight in Paris - Woody Allen/Owen Wilson
Dirty Harry - Clint Eastwood/Don Seigel
Magnum Force - Clint Eastwood/Ted Post
Black Dynamite - Michael Jai White
Six Degrees of Separation - Donald Sutherland/Will Smith
The Talented Mr Ripley - Matt Damon/Jude Law/Anthony Minghella
Drive - Nicolas Winding Ref/Ryan Gosling
Tophat - Fred Astaire
The Horror of Dracula - Terence Fisher/Christopher Lee
Taxi Driver - De Niro/Scorsese

DOCOS
Talihina Sky - Kings of Leon (meh)
Easy Riders, Raging Bulls - Doco about the next generation of film makers in the 70's.
Legacy of Filmmakers - About 'American Zoetrope', the company set up by Francis Ford Coppola and George Lucas in the early 70's.
Two in the Wave - About French new wave Directors Jean-Luc Godard and Francois Truffaut in the 60's.
Final 24 - The last 24 hours in the lives of John Belushi, River Phoenix, Jim Morrison and JFK.

#14 Bangers

Bangers

Large Member

• Moderators
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:47 AM

Drive started out pretty good, but the second half turned into a typical revenge movie. Plus like it could have had more driving in it. That opening car 'chase' is one of my favourites of recent times. Far more tense than anything else I've seen from Hollywood recently. It was a good movie, I just think it had a lot more potential.
And that is all I have to say about that.

#15 postman1138

postman1138

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

I think it was poorly advertised. People expecting more driving scenes were misled by both the trailer and possibly the title. For me it was the best film I've seen this year. I'm a huge Nicolas Winding Refn fan. It met my expectations and went beyond them in a lot of scenes. There was a girl sitting near me in the cinema who was hyperventilating most of the movie.

#16 Bangers

Bangers

Large Member

• Moderators
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

I never saw they trailer, all I knew about it going in was the title and that it was about a stunt driver who moonlights as a getaway driver. And yeah, super violent. The girl I was with had her eyes covered half the time.
And that is all I have to say about that.

#17 Gav

Gav

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationOh, I'm uh.. on a road, uh.. looks to be asphalt. Um, ah geez, trees, shrubs um.... I'm directly under the earths sun... nnnow!

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

The girl I was with had tourettes.

Embarrasing.
This is a thousand monkeys working at a thousand typewriters. Soon, they'll have finished the greatest novel known to man...

#18 jol123

jol123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:53 PM

Video Nasties: Moral Panic, Censorship & Videotape it was a pretty good doco

#19 Chaircat Meow

Chaircat Meow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationBumstead flats

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:27 AM

View Postastralwerkor, on 09 October 2011 - 08:00 AM, said:

pysched for drive

I liked it but only half as much as my wife.

I loved the soundtrack, however, as much as my wife. And we've been listening to it for weeks now without getting bored at all!
Good few minimalist electro songs with heart, plus mood stroking soundtrack score.

Some people say the songs were 80's schtick... but trust me, I was there the first time. They're  beautiful songs, and maybe they are 80's but if so, then they're 80's without any major label influence making it cheesy, for once.
Or maybe the context of the movie made them not-cheesy? Either way, very clever but with heart.

Apparently girls, if you didn't 'get' Ryan Gosling before... you will 'get' him after this movie hey.

RIP Sid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users