• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 colon

colon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

Hi, original Prog rock band Winterhead looking for a keys player. Currently a trio, guitar/vox, bass and drums, looking for keys to add to and fill out the sound. Vox a bonus but not necessay.

Influences include King Crimson, Rush and the other Prog greats, but on the more contemporary scene, Porcupine Tree.

Looking for a keys player who can add ambience and layers, know when to sit back, when to follow guitar or vox runs up and when to hold the major groove etc. Ability to work with and develop clicks and tracks would be a bonus. If you want an idea of what we're chasing, check out Porcupine Tree - pretty much looking for the same mix. Keys will be an integral part of the songs and the band, not an 'add-on'.

Have a stack of songs and at the back end of 2011 were into recording however lost our bass/keys player. We now have kick-ass bass player back in the mix and want the keys to round off.

Outlook on recording, vids/net and gigs.

We're early 30's and all have good kit and plenty of experience. Have a standing booking at The Hen House in Osborne Park.

To pre-empt questions and clarify, we're Prog Rock.  We're not Prog Metal, Math Rock, Art Rock etc (not that there is anything wrong with any of those) but we have aspects of all of them (because lets face it, Dream Theater, Mars Volta, Jethro Tull etc are all awesome). If you want to get an idea of breadth of style (light to heavy, feel) then, again, Porcupine Tree is a good example.

So if you like dealing with lots of (non gratuitous) time changes, speed, ambience, precision, open groove - Prog, we're looking forward to hearing from you guys (gender non specific!). Yes we expect a certain level of skill/ability but we're not elitist - experience with and a love of Prog would be a great bonus, but if you haven't played a lot of Prog, are good and think you would enjoy getting your head around what I've mentioned above, then I'm sure you'll cut it - so drop us a line!

Cheers

Mike

Edited by colon, 18 May 2012 - 11:39 PM.

#2 Legion

Legion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

Sounds pretty cool, Porcupine Tree are my favorite band, be interested in hearing your stuff. Don't suppose you need a second guitarist? I have some vocals also, for backing anyway.

What other bands have you been in? Played in WA?

#3 colon

colon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

Hey. Thanks, but we're good on that front dude, just looking for keys :P   We did think about going for a second guitarist also, but things sit nicely as they are and just need keys to wrap it up.

Re bands, last band I was in (some years back) was Mr Jelly, and yep, played mostly in WA. The other guys have both been in numerous bands over here and/or in UK.

Thanks for your post : )

#4 Legion

Legion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

Mr Jelly! Hah, I remember those guys - you used to gig with O and Squadcar - and at the Orient with Cinema Prague a bit? Pretty full on prog - your lead singer/keyboard dude played amazing flute. He used to wear a tea cosy or something on his head and play the kazoo?

Didn't your drummer have Mr Men painted on his kit? That was some fruity music. I thought you guys went to Europe?

#5 colon

colon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

Heh, yeah, that was Jelly. Yeah, I was the drummer, and yep I painted Mr Men on all my toms. Seemed like the right thing to do at the time :)

Our lead singer was amazing, he's one of the most talented musos I've ever played with. Played flute better than Ian Anderson :P. Dunno if you check Festival of Perth out when its in town, but he's Pugsley Buzzard - very cool jazz/bluesey stuff right out of the left hand side of spinville.

No, we didn't go to Europe. We did get a call from a European record label, but it was just after we had stopped playing and at the time it wasn't doable to get it happening again (yes, the timing sucked!)

Were you playing around then? What band?

#6 Legion

Legion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

No, I was mostly hanging around with bands and the usual crew at the time. Had just started uni and started picking up guitar.

Cool that you're still about - is it the same guitarist/bass player?

Make sure you post when you gig, will come!

Ben

#7 colon

colon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

Ah cool. No, different guitarist and bass player. Still friends with the bass player from Jelly, she's about but not playing bass any more (big loss) but the guitarist has fallen off the face of the Earth. Sadly lost track of him a few years back. Both good friends.

Thanks, will post gigs for sure :)

Cheers

#8 newkeys

newkeys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

hi, I've only been playing keyboard for about six months, but I am reasonably good. I played guitar for a few years, but enjoy the keyboard more.

I'm pretty into prog - early Genesis, Yes, Rush etc, so your stuff sounds cool, but I guess you guys are looking for someone who has played for years?

#9 colon

colon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

Hi newkeys, thanks for the post. I'd never say never, because I've played with people before who have picked up an instrument and three weeks later been playing like a virtuoso - but being practical, unless you're one of those then it would probaby not be a goer.

I guess we're also chasing experience in playing itself (ie, being part of a band, gigging etc). We're looking for someone who can jump in and function as one of the crew from day one. However, saying that, we'll work with someone to develop how we play together, for sure - but its a must that the person would need to be comfortable in their skill in playing.

Take a look at Richard Barbieri (Porcupine Tree) - that's the kind of thing we're looking for, and I guess, something approaching 50% plus of his skill level. He's not Rick Wakeman but (as much as Rick is a keys legend) that's not what we want anyway. Barbieri is excellent, but I like him primarily because of his instinctive ability to feed the music without needing to be intrusive in every song to do it. We're after someone who can layer up sounds, create and keep the ambience going, drop in tracks and backing patches here and there and know when to crank up runs with the guitar, vox etc. Not going to discourage the odd wild keys solo mind you - its just not the staple we're after.

Hope that helps

#10 newkeys

newkeys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

hi, thanks. I think I need to work on skill more. I am pretty good but am still finding my way around the board a little, developing sounds and getting used to synth. I haven't really had any experience in creating much in the way of my own sounds, or backing tracks. I've done a little with Foundry and programs like that, but not for my keys.

so thanks for the honesty and information, but I'll keep practising!

by the way, I listened to Porcupne Tree, I've heard of them before but not listened to much of their stuff - the pretty amazing huh. anyway, thanks and good luck with your search

#11 colon

colon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

Ok, appreciate the self assessment- hope you stick with it, keys are definitely an important part of Prog and like genres - so you wont be wasting your time.

Thanks again for your posts

Edited by colon, 23 April 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#12 newkeys

newkeys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

bump for you guys

#13 OTF

OTF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

Hey man, sounds cool - are you guys at all like Ozric Tentacles? Am a keys player, pretty into that stuff.

#14 colon

colon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

Hey. Not so much dude. I really like OT - they're pretty cool, but they are a lot more 'techno' than our music - we're sort of in the middle between them and Aardvark, I guess.

But if you've got the licks to lay that sort of stuff down and are interested, drop me a line - you should come down.

#15 OTF

OTF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

Ok, I sent you a few tracks to give you an idea of my playing, let me know what you think.

Edited by OTF, 25 April 2012 - 03:59 PM.

#16 OTF

OTF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

Sorry, try again. I have taken the password off

#17 emile

emile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Are you guys into Deep Purple style keys (hammond, marshall fed-back kind of thing)?

#18 colon

colon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

Hi Emile - we don't play DP style music (although they're a classic band - and Jon Lord is a superstar) but we do use that sound here and there in some of our songs. In fact one of the effects our guitarist uses is that Marshall overdriven Hammond sound - it's a great effect.

But in general, we're not much at all like DP.  But why don't you drop me a line, happy to have a chat about style and fit.

Cheers

#19 emile

emile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

Ok, have sent my details. Just had a listen to Porcupine Tree - they are quite diverse in range, pretty incredible sound. So they are kind of like a cross between Marillion and Dream Theater huh? They have the kitchen sink!

#20 emile

emile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

Oops, sorry. Resent

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Prog Rock, Band, Looking for Keys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users