#1 goodnightkissxxx

goodnightkissxxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationAlfred Cove

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

someone asked me to do this with them and I am really not sure how what they want.

any advice is apprieciated!!
I like it when oceanographers and treasure hunters go down to the Titanic for no real reason other than to give the Grand Old Lady of the Ocean a big fat DEEP DICKING with submarines and cameras.

#2 bird_of_paradox

bird_of_paradox

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,074 posts
  • Locationon the wing

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:40 PM

Destroy it? Hmmm...

If somebody's playing '4:33' by John Cage, turn the CD off halfway through the track. See if they notice. ;)
Sometimes it's not a lack of technical knowledge, and it's not laziness. It's just a lack of anything resembling what we call motivation. Like Ron Livingston said in Office Space, "It's not that I'm lazy... I just don't care!"

#3 The Day After

The Day After

Advanced Member

• Perthbands Reviewer
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,219 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:57 PM

Destroy it? Hmmm...

If somebody's playing '4:33' by John Cage, turn the CD off halfway through the track. See if they notice. ;)

hahahaha brilliant.

nah I presume 'destroying avante garde' just involves being as pretentious as possible. or the opposite, or something
SEAMS | Heathcote Blue | Solar Barge | The Brow | [url=http://www.myspace.com/bluetonguebeats]Blue Tongue

#4 ninjaspew

ninjaspew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Locationmelbourne

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:46 AM

it's done a pretty good job of doing that itself

#5 SF

SF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:34 PM

Destroy it? Hmmm...

hahahaha brilliant.

nah I presume 'destroying avante garde' just involves being as pretentious as possible. or the opposite, or something

Im pretty sure it involves wearing shorts that sit at the balance between pure comfort and just BEfore becoming fashionable....

#6 Beast

Beast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationEast perth

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:50 AM

ppl have some crazy interpretations of this,

i thought it would have been something like,
Nuke Rick Wrights Grave, followed by the bakery, and then start a Pop Band and take over the world....
My name is Archie. yes really.

#7 2112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:12 PM

build a time machine, go to the future, see whats big musically, then come back and destroy its roots...although that would mean turning ALL music into homogeneous moosh......so maybe its not a good idea at all!
Leon Todd
0402 539 907

Guitarist for Ragdoll www.ragdollrock.com

Music Tuition - Guitar, Bass and Music Theory

#8 The Spitfire

The Spitfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

Destroy it? Hmmm...

I did a gig where one of the other support bands did a live version of that... not a bright idea as the crowd decided to fill the 4 and a half minutes with discussion about how crap the band were. Still had to admire them, they sounded just like the real thing.
www.myspace.com/thesupermarinespitfires

#9 2112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:07 PM

Destroy it? Hmmm...

I did a gig where one of the other support bands did a live version of that... not a bright idea as the crowd decided to fill the 4 and a half minutes with discussion about how crap the band were. Still had to admire them, they sounded just like the real thing.

the whole point of that piece was so an audience could listen to the ambient sounds of a concert hall....so essentially every performance is going to sound totally different...in that case the ambient noise was punters talking !
Leon Todd
0402 539 907

Guitarist for Ragdoll www.ragdollrock.com

Music Tuition - Guitar, Bass and Music Theory

#10 Chaircat Meow

Chaircat Meow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationBumstead flats

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:08 PM

Destroy it? Hmmm...

Hahahhaa  :lol:

+1 both of you!

Sanssangria are happy to play your show, hit us up!

http://listn.to/Sanssangria

https://www.facebook...34765529870619/  

RIP Sid

I found the keys to cornerstone in my coffee,
I am generic brand for product of environment,
I get these dreams that roll and shake into pieces,
I pick them up to find that I am wide awake again

#11 king_chicken

king_chicken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  • Locationclaremont

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:06 PM

i saw an amazing percussionist earlier this year who gave me this advice...
"never mess with john cage"
www.myspace.com/screaminglife

drum lessons?
http://www.musicteac...cussion-lessons

#12 The Spitfire

The Spitfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:41 PM

Destroy it? Hmmm...

the whole point of that piece was so an audience could listen to the ambient sounds of a concert hall....so essentially every performance is going to sound totally different...in that case the ambient noise was punters talking !

Maybe the crowd were just getting into the spirit of it, but the guys on stage looked pretty uncomfortable about the whole thing, it was some pretty loud ambiance.

#13 anesthesia

anesthesia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationBeckenham

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:49 PM

build a time machine, go to the future, see whats big musically, then come back and destroy its roots...although that would mean turning ALL music into homogeneous moosh......so maybe its not a good idea at all!

i am in the same boat.

destroying music no matter how horrible it may be is a terrible idea because you never know whos listening and getting inspired. you could kill an entire new musical revolution by destroying avant garde.

heres a suggestion for your friend dont listen to it. i certainly dont listen to the spice girls.
Please Quall back any time.
www.ultradetectives.com

#14 The Spitfire

The Spitfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:13 AM

i am in the same boat.

destroying music no matter how horrible it may be is a terrible idea because you never know whos listening and getting inspired. you could kill an entire new musical revolution by destroying avant garde.

heres a suggestion for your friend dont listen to it. i certainly dont listen to the spice girls.

More of a Take That fan eh?

#15 zarquin

zarquin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,112 posts
  • Locationin my body.. i hope

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:46 PM

Maybe the crowd were just getting into the spirit of it, but the guys on stage looked pretty uncomfortable about the whole thing, it was some pretty loud ambiance.

well, the band kinda failed to get it then didn't they? :p

#16 goodnightkissxxx

goodnightkissxxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationAlfred Cove

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:37 PM

He cancelled 1 hour before we were ment to jamagain today!!

Omigawd!! I'm gonna destroy avant-garde all the way up his arse! Like in a god damn car crash!!  :angry:

I like it when oceanographers and treasure hunters go down to the Titanic for no real reason other than to give the Grand Old Lady of the Ocean a big fat DEEP DICKING with submarines and cameras.

#17 Beast

Beast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationEast perth

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:52 AM

i thought avante garde was like experimental or left of centre music?, hardly the spice girls...
My name is Archie. yes really.

#18 Red Ruce (62?)

Red Ruce (62?)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,858 posts
  • LocationIn The Streets Of Your Town....

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:55 PM

I think you may have missed the point of that post....
Dance This Mess Around!

#19 The Day After

The Day After

Advanced Member

• Perthbands Reviewer
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,219 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:22 PM

indeed, I think he just meant you needn't listen to music you don't like, there's no need to 'destroy' genres, just ignore em. Fun Fact: When John Cage wasn't busy dangling spoons off piano strings or writing 200 years of D#, he was also a mycologist (someone who studies fungi) and had a vast collection of mushrooms.
SEAMS | Heathcote Blue | Solar Barge | The Brow | [url=http://www.myspace.com/bluetonguebeats]Blue Tongue

#20 Chaircat Meow

Chaircat Meow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationBumstead flats

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:44 AM

How about something slightly more achievable next time? Like, 'let's make a million dollars' :P
Sanssangria are happy to play your show, hit us up!

http://listn.to/Sanssangria

https://www.facebook...34765529870619/  

RIP Sid

I found the keys to cornerstone in my coffee,
I am generic brand for product of environment,
I get these dreams that roll and shake into pieces,
I pick them up to find that I am wide awake again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users