#21 Russ

Russ

Drumfiend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts
  • LocationHighgate

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:21 PM

Jon was incredible, absolutely incredible live, so powerful!

Thomas is also great but there are some things which should be played the way Jon used to play them.  Jon had the best feel whereas you can tell Thomas comes from a Gospel/r&b sort've background so his playing is usually busy 100% of the time.. although he's tamed down a lot more on the new album, and live it kinda seems that way too.  Dude has endless energy though, can't believe he can play so ferociously for 2.5+hrs with these guys, insane stamina.

Still can't wait to see Thomas in clinic in July, that's going to be so good!
I currently hit drums for...

The Autumn Isles | Sea Of Tunes | Some Like It Yacht | The Reductors | The Beat Surrenders

#22 QueefGiblet

QueefGiblet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:14 PM

Thomas is a bit of a wanker, he tries to shred too much instead of playing funky syncopated beats like Jon used to do.

#23 The Day After

The Day After

Advanced Member

• Perthbands Reviewer
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,219 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:40 PM

wait, thomas plays in Clinic? are you sure?

I don't know exactly why you hate Bedlam so much Queefo. Obviously Cedric's voice is quite divisive but that's always been the case. I thought it was a pretty decent album.

SEAMS | Heathcote Blue | Solar Barge | The Brow | [url=http://www.myspace.com/bluetonguebeats]Blue Tongue

#24 Stever

Stever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts
  • Location6 0 1 1 POASTZ FROM THA COAST

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:55 PM

no as in a drum clinic or whatever

also Do It failed to do it for me

#25 Russ

Russ

Drumfiend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts
  • LocationHighgate

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:48 PM

Yeah man, Thomas Pridgen/Dom Famularo/Virgil Donati, Wed 22nd July @ Playhouse, going to be awesome!  I got front row seats  B)

The Autumn Isles | Sea Of Tunes | Some Like It Yacht | The Reductors | The Beat Surrenders

#26 QueefGiblet

QueefGiblet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:37 AM

Yeah man, Thomas Pridgen/Dom Famularo/Virgil Donati, Wed 22nd July @ Playhouse, going to be awesome!  I got front row seats  B)

That's gonna be pretty fucking gay, personally I like drummers that play good music in good bands as opposed to dudes who spend 8 hours a day locked in a room learning how to be a gay drummer that knows how to play every syncopation and polyrhythm that exists.

I mean it's like Yngwie Malmsteem, sure the guy can play a guitar but he sure as fuck can't write a song.

I really don't dig the whole prog/power/cheese/wank scene's obsession with technique over substance. it's a shame that it has been allowed to take a strong hold and develop a sub-culture, it's breeding a whole new generation of musically corrupt youth - you see them at music stores all the time playing the guitars and the drumkits, to them it's not about music it's about showing off technique.

#27 Stever

Stever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts
  • Location6 0 1 1 POASTZ FROM THA COAST

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:18 AM

yeah you can talk shit on people who do that but a lot of the guys who are in the position to run a clinic have honed their skills in a band as well as in the basement

dudes like kollias do clinics and instructional wank videos but he's coming from a background of 20 years thrashing it in bands

#28 QueefGiblet

QueefGiblet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:02 PM

yeah you can talk shit on people who do that but a lot of the guys who are in the position to run a clinic have honed their skills in a band as well as in the basement

dudes like kollias do clinics and instructional wank videos but he's coming from a background of 20 years thrashing it in bands

Virgil Donati?

#29 Russ

Russ

Drumfiend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts
  • LocationHighgate

Posted 18 June 2009 - 02:47 PM

I've heard Donati is a bit clinical in his playing (lacks feeling) but I haven't seen it for myself.  Either way it's more like going to a freak show, seeing these drummers pull off things that no normal human being could possibly do, like 4-way limb independance and superior stick control, it's impressive for me to watch anyway, it's like watching a god damn magic show half the time.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.  Dom doesn't really play much, he'll more or less talk his ass off but he's a great speaker so i'm keen to see him too.  Thomas is just going to shred his ass off i'm sure.

#30 QueefGiblet

QueefGiblet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:04 PM

I've heard Donati is a bit clinical in his playing (lacks feeling) but I haven't seen it for myself.  Either way it's more like going to a freak show, seeing these drummers pull off things that no normal human being could possibly do, like 4-way limb independance and superior stick control, it's impressive for me to watch anyway, it's like watching a god damn magic show half the time.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.  Dom doesn't really play much, he'll more or less talk his ass off but he's a great speaker so i'm keen to see him too.  Thomas is just going to shred his ass off i'm sure.

Dude virgil donati plays in planet X, I think that says all you need to know about virgil donati.

And 4 way limb independence = easy if you know how.

#31 Guest_Anonymous Contributor_*

Guest_Anonymous Contributor_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:21 PM

I saw Virgil Donati's band in 2004, they were completely unbearable.

#32 RacoonMaintennance

RacoonMaintennance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,609 posts
  • Locationthe giant retirement villiage that is Perth

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:14 PM

Dude virgil donati plays in planet X, I think that says all you need to know about virgil donati.

Yo mama = Easy if you know how (hard liquor)
Soma - Angry White Fella Music

Soma

#33 Crack Hitler

Crack Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:17 PM

Gimme Jimmy Chamberlin and John Bonham before Virgil Donati and that Damo dude. Boring prog rock = boring prog rock. Emotive drummers = the life of a band.

#34 TehFix0r

TehFix0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:43 AM

Yo mama = Easy if you know how (hard liquor)

I love you, Racoon.

I am currently too drunk to make a valuable contribution to this thread.

Best post ever

#35 DogCerpin

DogCerpin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationeverywhere

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:16 PM

my predictions for this album:

digadadigadigadadigadaWEEWEEWEEMEEDLEYMEEDLEYMEEDLEYMEEDLEY

ARCHIPELAGO MERLOT ERGOT UMBILICAL ACTIVISM HOLOCAUST!

WEEEEEEEEE!MEEDLEYMEEDLEYWAAAOOOW!MEEDLEYMEEDLEYWOOAAAAH!

digadigadigadigadigadiga

CRUSTACEAN BEHRINGER CELLULOID MASTICATE GANGRENOUS HYPERTROPHY!

/snooze

My friend's impression:

"A congress of praying mantis juveniles will install linux on your dog."

But on a lighter note, I've heard this album will be slightly low key, kinda like a Mars Volta version of an acoustic album.

Still, I'm kind of excited.

#36 QueefGiblet

QueefGiblet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:41 PM

my predictions for this album:

digadadigadigadadigadaWEEWEEWEEMEEDLEYMEEDLEYMEEDLEYMEEDLEY

ARCHIPELAGO MERLOT ERGOT UMBILICAL ACTIVISM HOLOCAUST!

WEEEEEEEEE!MEEDLEYMEEDLEYWAAAOOOW!MEEDLEYMEEDLEYWOOAAAAH!

digadigadigadigadigadiga

CRUSTACEAN BEHRINGER CELLULOID MASTICATE GANGRENOUS HYPERTROPHY!

/snooze

My friend's impression:

But on a lighter note, I've heard this album will be slightly low key, kinda like a Mars Volta version of an acoustic album.

Still, I'm kind of excited.

Don't be, it's shit. Not nearly as shit as bedlam though.

#37 bastardo

bastardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,387 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:56 PM

you serious!?

I reckon it's easily their most creative record since their first one. Just because it's more straight-forward doesn't mean it's not as meticulous. I mean, if you look comparatively, this is their first unique album since the first one. Totally new vibe, loads of new ideas, all executed with the same finesse... I don't see what's not to like.

Give it another spin with headphones and see how you go. Lots of cool shit tucked away in the mix.
be still, ya little cunt

#38 QueefGiblet

QueefGiblet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:49 PM

you serious!?

I reckon it's easily their most creative record since their first one. Just because it's more straight-forward doesn't mean it's not as meticulous. I mean, if you look comparatively, this is their first unique album since the first one. Totally new vibe, loads of new ideas, all executed with the same finesse... I don't see what's not to like.

Give it another spin with headphones and see how you go. Lots of cool shit tucked away in the mix.

Cedric's vocals are just killing it for me as usual, they have been getting louder and more compressed with each successive release and his performance has become much more feminine and cheesy. Also it didn't seem to have the sweet hooks of de-loused or Frances. I miss Jon Theodore's sweet ass syncopated beats too =(, Thomas doesn't get it, he's just tech.

#39 Crack Hitler

Crack Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:43 PM

My friend's impression:

this is a lollercaust

#40 bastardo

bastardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,387 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:59 AM

Cedric's vocals are just killing it for me as usual, they have been getting louder and more compressed with each successive release and his performance has become much more feminine and cheesy.

yeah, my only gripe so far is that when you listen to this through speakers, it's very apparent how high the vocals and snare are in the mix. Or, more so how low the guitars are by comparison.

there's no way he's ever gonna sound like anything other than a chipmunk though
be still, ya little cunt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users