#41 astralwerkor

astralwerkor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6361 posts
  • Locationperf

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:45 AM

I picked up an American Splendor compilation a while back.  Some excellent shit in there.

I haven't read Love and Rockets, but I really want to get into it.  I take it Tomine's art style is very similar to that of the Hernadez brothers?  It just looks very much in the same style, from what I've seen. 

Shortcomings is quite the read.  I also have a Sleepwalking which, like Summer Blonde, is a compilation of his Optic Nerve stories.  I must pick up more. 

Joe Sacco is an artist/journalist who wrote an excellent graphic account of his time in Bosnia during the war in 1994-1995, called Safe Area Gorazde.  You must check it out, Chaircat.

Of Clowes' work, I've read Ghost World and David Boring, both of which are completely worthwhile.

#42 mattgiles

mattgiles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:53 PM

Yeah David Boring is amazing. His new one pretty great too.

I had a problem with Joe Sacco when I read his one about Bosnia, but I forget what it was. Something like, I thought he didn't have a critical enough view of the war or one of the characters or something? Uhhh.

I read Our Cancer Year by Harvey Pekar this year and it was okkkk but I didn't like the artist that much. Has anyone read Our Movie Year? Das ist gut?

I have to say I didn't like Emoboy or Lenore, but when I was 13 or so I loved Johnny the Homicidal Maniac.

I'm reading Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing right now!

For pencils I like Chris Bachalo and basically everyone Alan Moore chooses to work with.

I'm enjoying this conversation.
live at loveismyvelocity.com:
Extortion "Ramirez" -
Li'l Leonie Lionheart "The British Isles" -
Astral Travel "Man Shandy" - http://loveismyvelocity.com/mp3s/banknotes/astral03.mp3

#43 Troy

Troy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:24 PM

I haven't read Swamp Thing, but ive read some reviews that make me want to check it out. I guess im an Allan Moore fan, i loved Watchmen, loved V For Vendetta (and HATED the movie), liked The Killing Joke and was kind of impartial to Tom Strong.

Right now, i think i need more Alex Ross. Marvels and Kingdom Come blew we away.

I got book 3 of Preacher a few days ago, so thats keeping me busy at the moment. Next im thinking ill check out New Frontiers, considering i found some cash in my Paypal account and the books on ebay.

#44 memoriesofnam

memoriesofnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:48 AM

I'll have to throw in Charles Burns if no one has already. Read 'Black Hole' or the 'Big baby' series.

Charles Burns' stuff is awesome - Looks great animated too, seen "Fears Of The Dark" (or whatever the French title is)?

Thomas Ott is my favourite comic artist: http://www.tott.ch/
Dark as fuck, and totally without words. All done with scratchboard.

Also love horror manga stuff by the likes of Junji Ito, Suehiro Maruo, Hideshi Hino.. yet to read much Kazuo Umezu stuff surprisingly, but must rectify this.

For more mainstream stuff, anything with art by Tony Moore is amazing: First volume of The Walking Dead, Fear Agent, Exterminators, etc.

#45 gulnare

gulnare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Locationroves' mums' house

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:24 PM

The Maxx was awesome.

#46 goodnightkissxxx

goodnightkissxxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationAlfred Cove

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:23 PM

I'll have to throw in Charles Burns if no one has already. Read 'Black Hole' or the 'Big baby' series.

Also love horror manga stuff by the likes of Junji Ito, Suehiro Maruo, Hideshi Hino.. yet to read much Kazuo Umezu stuff surprisingly, but must rectify this.

check out shintaro kago if you haven't already.

I have flogged this site so hard with work.... well here's another!!
http://www.mediafire.com/?tzg4omjmmy2

I like it when oceanographers and treasure hunters go down to the Titanic for no real reason other than to give the Grand Old Lady of the Ocean a big fat DEEP DICKING with submarines and cameras.

#47 Cadbury

Cadbury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1807 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:51 PM

Internet wise I've been trying to get this guy to launch a paper comic for ages. http://rsp.comicgene...d/20090628.html Ironically, he keeps procrastinating it off.

#48 memoriesofnam

memoriesofnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 03:13 PM

check out shintaro kago if you haven't already.

I have flogged this site so hard with work.... well here's another!!
http://www.mediafire.com/?tzg4omjmmy2

Yesssss! Shintaro Kago is great! Total head implosion stuff. I personally prefer his art to the content of his comics, but the experimental aspect of his comics is amazing. So intense!

#49 Troy

Troy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:56 AM

Bump - Whats everyone reading?

I finished the 1st 2 JLA 'Justice' books, awesome art by Alex Ross. Story is ok, i really need to get the last book though.

Also just started Invincible after i found the 1st trade behind my couch the other day.

#50 shorebuck

shorebuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:41 PM

I just finished Killing Joke and A Death in the Family - awesome - KJ was a bit short but I dug the whole yeah, Batman's pretty screwed up too angle.

#51 MD.

MD.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3413 posts
  • LocationBeckenham, Perth

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:07 PM

the phantom wins
so you liek mudkips?

#52 HULKSMASH

HULKSMASH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:25 PM

Check out anything written by Ed Brubaker or Mark Millar
Brubaker
Check out Criminal, Incognito for some top of the range crime noir comics
The current run of Captain America (2005 to current) for an amazing take on the America supersoldier, patriotism, war games, generation gaps, and indifference.
Millar
The Ultimates, and Ultimate X Men. Modernisation of the Marvel Universe.
And Kick Ass.

Thems are good starts.......
BAYOU - www.facebook.com/bayoumusicoz

#53 shorebuck

shorebuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:43 PM

I grabbed an issue of Kick Ass, to get a bit of background for the movie, I approve.

#54 Troy

Troy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:56 PM

I was going to get some books today, then i checked my bank balance to find $3.50. Will have to wait a few days...

#55 Chaircat Meow

Chaircat Meow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9278 posts
  • LocationBumstead flats

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:12 PM

I just finished Killing Joke and A Death in the Family - awesome - KJ was a bit short but I dug the whole yeah, Batman's pretty screwed up too angle.

Classics. I remember following the 'A Death in the family' storyline when it came out as a kid, it was major! Currently reading 'Arkham Asylum:Living hell' and Grant Morrison/Dave McKean's 'Arkham Asylum: A serious house on serious Earth.'
The second one's a pretty good origin story for Arkham Asylum, bat-nerds.

Sanssangria are happy to play your show, hit us up!

http://listn.to/Sanssangria

https://www.facebook...34765529870619/  

RIP Sid

I found the keys to cornerstone in my coffee,
I am generic brand for product of environment,
I get these dreams that roll and shake into pieces,
I pick them up to find that I am wide awake again

#56 Mr Serial

Mr Serial

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2488 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:49 PM

I picked up some Tezuka.

#57 Stever

Stever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2607 posts
  • Location6 0 1 1 POASTZ FROM THA COAST

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:15 PM

i got a copy of palestine i could throw a lend of to any innerested. ditto the aforementioned black hole. picked up uncle sam 1 & 2 recently and thought that was a pretty deec read. also checked norleans AD, which was pretty meh. the western suburbs libraries actually have a pretty decent collection - i recall reading all six volumes of akira, a bunch of moore, gaiman, etc in the beanbag room out the back of claremont library in the middle of highschool. oh and the omnipresent mad magazines

#58 cheesekranksy

cheesekranksy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:20 PM

The Maxx was awesome.

+1

#59 Apples

Apples

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1123 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:08 PM

For those who don't know there's a new Comic book store just opened in Rockingham, near Maccas/Swinging Pig called 'Cosmic Comics' I had a looksy and they have a decent array.  <_<

Did you ever eat Tasty Wheat?
No, but technically, neither did you.

#60 Bob Lava

Bob Lava

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

Just a question guys;

Is it alright for a superhero to read comics?

Please. I need a quick response on this
I can't fly to the moon if my feathers have been clipped

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users